Monday 9 December 2019

Publication Layout Experimentation

For the inside pages of the publication I wanted to use black and white pages to communicate the binary nature of the algorithm which contrasts heavily with the concept of creativity (which will be asserted through the placement of my own visual work throughout the publication). I wanted to keep the focus on the text and the practical work included, but use subtle design features. One way I wanted to do this was through the page numbers, which I initially included on their side however later decided to change as it was confusing with numbers such as '9' which on it's side could be confused with a '6'! 



Another consideration that had to be made was the frame for the text to sit inside. I toyed with using the circles that I had placed in my posters but found they didn't work nicely with the text. And then had the thought to use simple straight, thick lines at both the top and bottom of the text area. But didn't find this worked either. 


The screenshot above shows the final design I came to for the page layouts. Using a box that is the same as the one on the covers spread I was able to provide some visual consistency. I also found that this works better for the page design as a whole thanks to the fineness of the line as well as the way that it contains the page numbers. 


Another decision that had I had to make was how the imagery would sit with the text and its border. I first experimented with allowing it to expand out of the text border, but I eventually decided not to do this as I found having it contained was more in line with the overall design of the publication which had a focus on a linear visual consistency that related to the idea of the binary. 


However, when including my own work I decided to break this rule and allowed my imagery to take up the whole page. This subtle feature conveys the elements of creativity that where explored through my project. As something that cannot be contained by the algorithm. 



Lastly, for the inner pages I again utilised the concept of binary code and placed this as a full bleed. With the front being white background with black text and the inverse on the back section of the publication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflective Report 5

This project has been one of the most challenging I have had so far in the course. Producing this essay and visual investigation has helped ...