Wednesday 11 December 2019

Reflective Report 5

This project has been one of the most challenging I have had so far in the course. Producing this essay and visual investigation has helped me to develop a much clearer understanding of the foundations of my own practice and the driving forces behind the way I like to create imagery. Being able to allocate a chunk of time to research and sink my teeth into this topic has really opened my eyes. I began this investigation with an overly negative outlook on social media including sites such as Instagram. I wanted to find out how they where damaging creativity and why we needed to get rid of them, but instead I ended up making quite a different discovery. I realised the importance of these sites to so many creatives, including my self. The number one realisation that I've had through the investigation is that balance is the way that creativity and social media use will be able to coexist. Something I struggled with again this project was my time management. I often got too caught up in the reading/research element of the project and neglected my practical development. However, I was able to gain more control over this toward the end of the project through utilising the sprint goals. But I need to make sure that I can stay on top of this throughout the whole of the next project. 

Understanding the importance of creating work for oneself rather than with the intention of making a pretty picture to please an audience is something I won't forget. Now knowing this I intend to implement this focus into my future practice. I will be using Instagram to self promote myself as an illustrator as I now feel confident that I can do so whilst not letting it affect the kind of work that I'm creating, be that through the intervention of the algorithm or the pressure to conform. I want to use the skills that I have gained in this project in 603. I really enjoyed creating the publication and think I will potentially aim to create another for the next studio brief. Another thing I will take away from this brief is the process of flow, which I will aim to use in my making in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflective Report 5

This project has been one of the most challenging I have had so far in the course. Producing this essay and visual investigation has helped ...