Monday 9 December 2019

Publication Cover Design Process

Upon finishing my essay I began the process of designing the publication to situate it in. I really enjoyed this process and think that it is something I should take into 603. I wanted to create a look for the publication that complemented the practical work which I had been creating throughout the project and so I outlined some key components of this that must be involved: 
  • Play with shape 
  • An analogue colour scheme such as black and white
  • Involving signifiers of the algorithm such as the use of binary code, or code similar to that used in the posters. 
  • Involving textural qualities in a digitised style 



This is the initial cover spread idea I had for the publication. I wanted to use it to create a visual suggestion of the investigation. I used '{start}' and '{end}' on the front and back covers as this code terminology could work well as a way of demonstrating the front and back covers of the book. And then using line work and shape subtly in the background I thought that this could draw through some consistency with the practical outcomes, as well as incorporating some of the texture from my prints. After mulling over this idea I decided to try a different plan of action as I didn't feel that the design resonated strongly enough with the intentions of the publication and expressed the ideas in a relatively superficial way. Back to the drawing board. 

The second design idea still contained similar visual qualities as the first idea however instead I decided to make a few changes.


This idea had a change of text which read, 'enter' for the front cover and 'del_' for the back instead. These are both also examples of coding terminology which I had encountered in my research into the language of algorithms. Alongside these changes I also decided to incorporate more examples of shape play into the design. Keeping the line work super fine in order to not let it overtake the idea. I wanted there to be a subtlety in this cover spread so that the fragility of creativity that my essay argues could be represented within this design. Although I found this idea to be more effective than the first I still didn't see it as the perfect way to effectively summarise my research/personal investigation. And so I decided to yet again, head back to the drawing board. 

This time I really had a think about the visual motifs that would most effectively resonate with the topics and themes explored throughout my essay. I came to the conclusion that I needed to have a strong focus on the use of shape in a simple yet striking way as this would help the publication communicate the creativity side of the argument. But due to the nature of the essay which is arguing whether or not creativity is in a state of suppression as a result of algorithms, I thought that restricting this visual quality to give it a sense of constraint in the eyes of the reader would be ideal. Other components that I felt necessary to include where a use binary code as this could allow me to explore type and create a striking look. 


The shape that I created for the cover spread was made exclusively on illustrator through playing around, this is a process that I find enjoyable due to the efficiency through which I'm able to generate a wealth of different ideas. I like the way it's being squeezed inwards which helps in communicating a sense of pressure that creatives online often feel in order to conform. Over the top of the shape I created some line work - similar to what is in the posters. As well as working well aesthetically the aim behind this motif was to suggest the idea of flow which I talked about and utilised throughout my project. 


The typeface that I went with is called, Handson Bold and I found it through researching online. I'm really attracted to it's bold and striking impression that captivates attention. I have used this for both the binary code and the words, 'CREATIVITY' and 'ALGORITHMS' which are situated toward the bottom of the imagery. 


I ensured throughout this design that there was a relationship between both the front and back covers. To do this I used more or less the same design but flipped and inverted the colours to remain in theme with the book's analogue design ethos. Using the shape as a clipping mask I decided to cut out the numbers so that they where contained within the shape. I then replaced the original binary layout on top of this but decided to use outlines rather than block text.




Something that I was also quite keen to include in the cover spread design was a sense of texture. I experimented in photoshop with creating some layer masks over the cover using water textures in order to create some sort of tactility in the image. I found that some of these designs where really quite cool and through playing around with the colours some exciting ideas where created. However, they just don't seem to work effectively with the publication as a whole and I think that continuing with the flat, bold style will be better for the overall design. 


The effect that I find this gives to the design is a sense of the symbiosis between the algorithm and creativity. Showing them both existing within the same context explores visually the investigation within the publication. Really chuffed with this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflective Report 5

This project has been one of the most challenging I have had so far in the course. Producing this essay and visual investigation has helped ...