Saturday 7 December 2019

Fatchurofi

I found an illustrator through an article that had appeared to me online. His name is Fatchurofi and his work is influenced primarily through his practice of mindfulness. This creates a surrealism within his work that is really eye catching. He is from Indonesia and works for a design agency in Jakarta whilst continuing a personal practice externally to this. In the article I read he states, “After suffering from a panic attack disorder a couple of years ago, however, I began to practice mindfulness and this became a big influence for my work, encouraging me to start drawing purely for myself about my own experiences.”. The fact he fixates on creating art work purely for himself rather than for an audience is really interesting and in line with the argument of my essay. 

He continues, “My art is about escaping the tension and demands of day-to-day life and taking time to look at yourself, it’s about putting depth of mind into a simple, flat illustration.”.  I found this really interesting and so decided to contact him earlier in the project (on my friends phone!). I wanted to ask him a few questions about his practice as there was not much information online at all for me to use towards the essay. 

Just my luck, he replied today! With my essay finished... But at least I've found some cool work and I think I will just go ahead and ask him some questions anyway even though they won't make it into my essay!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflective Report 5

This project has been one of the most challenging I have had so far in the course. Producing this essay and visual investigation has helped ...